Postmodern : Pop Art

     The Postmodern Era is marked by art movements that intended to contradict some elements of Modernism.  Postmodern art is believed to encompass conceptual art, intermedia, multimedia, and installation art, just to name a few.

    Before understanding the elements and impact of Postmodern art, it is important to understand Modernism. Modernism is characterized by industrialization and social progressive movements. Just as Postmodern Art is somewhat of a rebellion against Modernism, Modernism was a movement that sought to go against art that preceded it. The movement took place in the midst of much anxiety and hardships that took place during and after World War I. Postmodern art still shares some similar elements that Modernism stood for. However, it is even more ironic and seeks to go against the grain even more so than Modern art did. I decided to represent Postmodern art through Pop art.

    Pop art is a movement that emerged in the United States during the late 1950’s to present. Andy Warhol is known for his famous pop art artworks. Pop art tests the boundaries between art and life. Andy Warhol was the first artist to pop into my head because of his bright colors and abstract expressionists. Andy Warhol used famous celebrity’s and common everyday life objects and made them into fine art. Andy Warhol’s pop art connects to postmodernism because our everyday life objects, celebrities or food labels can be interpreted by the viewer to have different meanings and everyone could have their own experience with the object. 

“ Skulls , by Andy Warhol 1976”
The first piece I picked by Andy Warhol is titled “ Skulls” There are many different formats of this piece. Some include multiple skulls just in different colors. Warhol was shot and critically injured in 1968, ever since that incident he became more obsessed with the theme of death. The skull, a traditional symbol of mortality is shown with the impenetrable darkness of the hollow eye sockets. I really like this piece because the skull is very realistic. It brings out a creepy vibe but also a playfulness with the use of bright colors. I could see myself have some sort of copy of this in my house. Maybe bring it out during Halloween or something. 



Diamond Dust Shoes, by Andy Warhol 1980”

The second piece is also by Warhol. It was created in1980. 
Diamond Dust Shoes, another classic Andy Warhol painting, is a prefect representation of the Postmodern art movement. It represents repetition, fashion, glamour, and money. Notice again the bold and contrasting colors against the solid black background. I’m not the biggest fan of this piece and probably wouldn’t own it. However, it does make me feel happy from looking at it. I love his use of bold colors and pastel colors. 






Crying Girl, by Roy Lichtenstein 1963”

The second artist I picked is Roy Lichtenstein. He was born on October 27 1923 in New York. In the 1960s, Roy created “ fantasy drama” artworks of women in love affairs with domineering men. In this painting he wanted to portray the innocent “ girl next door”. I can see his point of view by his use of making the hair blonde and the big pearl earring. He seemed to stay in the comic book style in a lot of his paintings. One thing I like about his work is how you don’t really get a painting feel. I love his use of bold colors that clash against straight back. I personally wouldn’t own this piece because it doesn’t really fit the vibes I look for in art. 

“ View from the window” by Roy Lichtenstein 1985

 The “ View from the window” by Lichtenstein was created in 1985 and was part of his Landscape Series. This one is probably one of my favorites of his because it reminds me of Van Gough. It reminds me of the Starry Night by his brush strokes. I like how when you first look at it, you don’t really know where to look first and it’s kinda hard to make out what it is at first glance. I get a confused feeling but also a calming one by looking at it. I enjoy how the colors don’t really blend together and seems like they are competing against each other.




“  Flag “ by Jasper Johns 1955

The last artist I picked is Jasper Johns. This piece is called “ Flag” and was started in 1954 and finished a year later. Johns was born in Augusta, GA. I picked this piece because it screams power to me. Johns said “ One night I dreamed that I painted a large American flag, and the next morning I got up and went out and brought the materials to begin it”. I love how it looks distressed. After doing research I read that Johns was actually in the Army. To me that makes this piece more powerful. This piece also is his most famous one he’s done.  I would own a copy of this and have the perfect place for it. My husband is in the Army and has his own room with all his gear, so that’s where I’d hang this piece. 
“ Map” by Jasper Johns 1961

    The last piece Is also by Jasper Johns and is called “ Map” it was created in 1961 and is currently located in The Museum of Modern Art. This one is probably my favorite out of all the art pieces I picked. This piece represents the overall proportions and shapes of the United States, parts of Mexico, and Canada. I love his use of vivid colors and brush stokes. I love how you have to look closely to see that it’s the United States. It reminds me a little of Jackson Pollock by his use of splashes of red. I would without a doubt own this piece. Probably put it in my office over my desk. 




 “Home.” The Andy Warhol Museum, 10 Apr. 2024, www.warhol.org/.


Jasper Johns. Flag. 1954-55 (Dated on Reverse 1954) | Moma, www.moma.org/collection/works/78805. Accessed 19 Apr. 2024. 


Jasper Johns. Map. 1961 | Moma, www.moma.org/collection/works/79372. Accessed 19 Apr. 2024.



Comments

  1. Great job on capturing Pop Art! Andy Warhol’s “Skulls” reminded me of Van Gough’s painting of a skull. The yellow shadow definitely makes a pop and adds value to the depth of the piece. The yellow shade helps to embrace death. It is part of the life cycle. Warhol’s near-death experience became a rebirth. I think it would make a clever birthday or get-well card. I would definitely be painting some dancing shoes with diamond dust after receiving a second chance. “Diamond Dust Shoes” reminds me of the song by, “ Paul Simon, “Diamonds On The Soles Of Her Shoes” https://youtu.be/I_T3XvzPaM?si=2mpJqYZltB0rfu6a.
    It is interesting how the Impressionists have influenced the Post Modernist and the many different art movements. Going against the grain and expressing through art is the teacher in itself. I feel like Pop Art is a great outlet for conceptualism. Great job on your summary of the Postmodern Art rebellion against Modernism. I think art is a great outlet for rebellion.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

First blog assignment

Baroque