Renaissance Blog

Leonardo da Vinci “ Vitruvian Man’s” 

   Leonardo da Vinci’s drawing called “Vitruvian Man’s” was created in 1490 in Milan. It is a well known drawing that has been seen by millions. From being featured in movies like the “Thirteen Ghost”. For me this is a piece of art that may not be very detailed but conveys a lot of emotion. It’s only three elements. A circle, square and a male figure.It has a sort of creepy vibe that draws my attention to every detail. The drawing visualizes an idea of human proportions. Which is why I get the creepy vibes. From the four arms and shoulders touching the circle and squares and the four legs. If you were to zoom into the face you will see so much detail. The eyes seem to peer into yours. I’d love to add this to my small collection of art work. One thing that I learned about this drawing is that Da Vinci wasn’t sure if he’d show this to anyone. It’s literally just on a plain white piece of paper, which I believe makes it more special. Leonardo da Vinci’s drawing is an exemplary example of Renaissance Humanism because the subject of the drawing is a study of the movement of the limbs on a human body. 


Comments

  1. There's a modified version of this painting on the door of one of the mall shops in my home town, I thought it was an anatomical diagram turned artwork at first. I don't pick up on any creepy vibes like you said but I agree that it does have the effect of drawing the eye to details. It's really interesting that Da Vinci was on the fence about this one, maybe he thought it was too simplistic on it's own. The lines in this are powerful though, that circle is iconic at this point. It was apparently based off of Vitruvian's theory that a man could fit perfectly into both a circle and a square.
    https://www.britannica.com/topic/Vitruvian-man

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

First blog assignment

Baroque

Postmodern : Pop Art